By Jeff Beals
In today’s ultra-competitive, fast-paced economy, sales pros must take the time and do the things that make their prospects feel special. If you fail to do this, especially with the biggest and potentially most profitable clients, there will likely be a line of competitors ready to do it.
Big elephant clients know they are “big deals” and expect to be treated as such. Smaller clients too can have big egos and sensitive feelings.
No matter how busy you are and no matter how much pressure is upon you, it is of paramount importance to take quality time for prospective and current clients.
Great sales pros believe that people take precedent over to-do lists. Here are a few things that will help you put people first and consequently produce more profit:
- Make prospects feel special, like they’re the only ones who matter to you, like nobody in the world matters to you more in that given moment.
- The most coveted clients have a right to demand red-carpet treatment.
- Incorporate emotion into your pitches and presentations, because emotion is one of the most powerful selling tools. Even the most “rational” institutional buying decisions are laced with at least some degree of emotion.
- Even if it is a sacrifice, include prospective clients at your premier events. This allows them to feel what it’s like to be “part of the family.”
- Don’t set up a meeting with a prospect unless you can devote adequate attention to him or her.
- Assess your prospect’s personality and then decide whether to lavish attention or give him or her some breathing room. Personalities vary.
- Value exists in your client’s mind, not yours. Don’t forget that. Many sales are lost and countless sure-fire deals are never closed, because some sales person assumed what the client values.
Jeff Beals is a professional speaker and award-winning author, who helps professionals enjoy greater success through effective sales, marketing and personal branding techniques. He delivers energetic and humorous keynote speeches and workshops to audiences worldwide. To discuss booking a presentation, go to JeffBeals.com or email at email@example.com or call us at (402) 637-9300.